Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Glitz & Glam in the French West Indies

Where in the world am I today.  As I write this blog, I am sitting on the boat in the St Barts Marina.  Directly opposite my cabin window I see Hermes, Louis Vuitton, & Cartier shops, just to namedrop a few.  Yes, St Barthelemy, or St Barts as it is more commonly know, is a very la-di-da kinda place.  But not in that, I'm too good, I'll turn my nose up at you, kinda way.  This island and its people just like to enjoy the finer things in life.  It is a beautiful island with sharp volcanic hills set against a backdrop of the clearest bluest water you are likely to ever see.  The people are very friendly, especially when compared to the attitude you receive when you are actually in France.  I think it must have to do with the weather here which has been perfect blue skies with very very little rain, warm through the day while cooling off enough at night where you can get a good night's rest.

We hired some scooters to shoot around the island on and are having too much fun.  They're priced pretty well at 40 Euro a day.  If you're a jetski enthusiast however, things are a little different.  A 1/2 hour jetski rental will cost you 90-150 Euro. Yowsers ! 

Prior to docking at St Barts we had a lunchstop at a small island called Ile Fourche.  Here I found a snorkelling paradise. An underwater world that was just insane.  There were underwater caves and archways and the water colour and visibility were like nothing I'd ever seen.

Earlier in the day we had set sail from St Martin.  While in St Martin we anchored off Marigot Bay and Grand Case Beach.  Grand Case has a very french influence and is known as the gastronomical capital of the caribbean.  The restaurants and bars were both elegant and casual and most nights we ate first rate food shoeless with our toes in the sand.

No comments:

Post a Comment